Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Cass June 11-17
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Cass June 11-17 Reply with quote

Reservations are set at our home resort..BirchVilla..for June 11.

Let's hope we can rejuvenate the annual PHole Luncheon on Monday the 13th.

And here's hoping the Rockies and LMB are glad to see us then.
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene---I see you want to fish by the light of the full moon also!My grandson, son, and I have also picked June 11 as our week on beautiful Cass Lake. We have stayed at the Shoe before and loved the atmosphere there. But we are giving some thought about staying on Kitchi for once. We really have not tried Walleye fishing there in years past. Anyone wish to give their opinion on Kitchi vs Cass for Walleye fishing (exspecially at dusk) Question
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indy, that question would be best answered my Musky Mark. OUt of all of us here he probably spends more time there than anybody else.
Grouch
Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Cass/Kitchi Reply with quote

If you want to fish nights for walleyes, I think Cass is better. Many more shallow areas within reach of the lodges. This is where you will find the walleyes after dark. Find a spot about 7 - 10 feet deep next to a drop-off and anchor. Either cast shallow running plugs or drop a jig or set out a bobber rig and wait for action.
I've always caught bigger fish on Cass.
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the weather cooperates, one of the best places to fish late is in Cass just outside of the entrance to the river. When the eyes are there, you will see a bunch of boats working that first bar. Good spot to try.
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a while since I've been on here. So... walleyes. Cass vs Kitchi. Don't really have much else to add that hasn't already been said. Agree with Grouch and ffishman 100%. Average size walleyes in Cass seem to run a little bigger than Kitchi. I think that's mainly because the majority of walleyes in Kitchi are only there temporarily. Slowly migrating down thru the Turtle after spawning. Sure some of them hang out and live in Kitchi... but after mid-June, I hear the walleye fishing in Kitchi drops off pretty quick. Though there has to be some big dogs that stick around as the biggest we've ever caught up there was a 29 incher in Kitchi.

Anyhow, Kitchi... better early season lake. Warmer water, faster weed growth. A little more color to the water too. So the day bite is probably a little more steady as well. But the best evening/night bite seems to be on Cass. Make sense... clearer deeper water... better staging areas for fish to move up and feed. Get a sunny day with steady winds out of the south, and Turtle bar and where the turtle river flows in to Cass out of Pug Hole can be hot. (as indicated by the flotilla of boats that hang out there in the evening!). Still plenty of fishing to go around though. But I'd still say that Cass has better early morning/late evening walleye fishing than Kitchi on average.

BTW guys... I'm heading up June 6th I think. So we're out of sync with some of you guys again this year (Gene!). So I'll have to give you the lowdown when I leave so you can pick up where we leave off!

Mark
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY cRAZYS --thanks for the informative replys. Sounds like I will plan on starting my night fishing on Cass. Will definatly give Kithci a chance on day trolling for WALLEYES though........Also i will pay attention to what tips Musky has since he will be up there the week before my group....Counting down the days already(I love fishing on Cass}
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indy, what resort did you end up booking at?
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene---The 4 of us in my group will be lodging on the north side at the Horseshoe {my personal favorite} Not alot of small kids and mostly serious fisherman with great facilities and rental boats{18 ft Lund Alaskans with 40 hrs motor} Also many excellant Walleye spots close that can usually be reached no matter what kind of weather. If I recall, you stay on the southside dont you? If you dont mind saying what is your favorite evening/early night Walleye spot----Iwould have to say mine is the Wishbone bar in front of the "Shoe"
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Indy, BirchVilla is on the SW side down by Rt 2.

We like to get into the "landing pattern" of boats in the eve and troll from Tom's down to the Marina...close to home.

We don't often get through the Narrows to your part of the lake to visit Clark, but maybe this year I will stop by...and we might get to run into each other.
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene----Hope you make the trip over to the Northside one calm evening. We would not be hard to spot(4 of us in a 18ft alaskan). We usually anchor on the bar about 7 PM in 9 to 12 ft of water. Thought you might like to know that it is also a good spot for 9 to 11 inch rock bass(I also think they are great eaters when pan fried) Prior to that we usually fish on the west side in between Potato Island and Star Island in around 8 or 9 ft of water. Been a good combo for us the last couple of years. I stayed on the south side once apprx 15 years ago at Sak-A-Tay. Had fun and caught lots of big perch on the rocky point next to deeper water on the southeast side.
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Indy, gotta plan for us:
Monday meet at PikeHole for lunch.

If you are up for it, the (what used to be) annual Crazies tradition for us is to fish way back in Kitchi on the NE side for snakers all morning before heading to lunch at PikeHole.

Here ya go then: email your cell number to me at genegodawa@hotmail.com and I'll send mine back to you so we can communicate during our trip to see whazzup between our group's lucky spots.
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't be afraid to chuck a big minnow bait or a bucktail for some bigger "snakers" while you're fishing Kitchi! They're in there!

Going to miss you guys for the luncheon... but I'll make sure they're ready for you the week before. Wink
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm counting on you MM to get 'em ready for us.

My sis and nephew are really interested in trying some more Musky fishing during this year's trip...they bought a new arsenal over the winter....so I'm gonna have to remind them to try it back there in Kitchi.
(And how about a 5-of-Diamonds too...works pretty good for my nephew back there in Kitchi)

PS It's almost time for you to do your annual worm-catching thing at the Sycamore golf course, isn't it?
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five of diamonds is always good... for pike especially. But muskies will eat spoons too. Kind of an under-utilized approach for muskies in my opinion... though I do have a couple buddies who regularly fish spoons for 'skies in Canada.

I'll probably wait until early/mid May to do my crawler hunt. Shorter time between picking them up and putting them in front of a walleye!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: