Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Time To Go
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grouch
Angler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Patterns Reply with quote

Mark - I think that by 3 weeks after ice out the walleyes have spawned and will be scattered over the whole lake, I fish drop-offs and breaklines near thew inlets and outlets. North Turtle River bar is usually good.
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured it would change the pattern a little. And if the fish are relating to Turtle bar, it's big enough where you can always get out of everyone else's way and still catch fish. Spent a lot of time on that piece of structure. Can't wait to hit it again this year.

We pattern muskies the same way you do walleyes. We just start fishing good staging areas farther and farther away from where they spawned as the spring progresses.

Good luck.
Grouch
Angler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Musky Reply with quote

By the way Mark, one of my fishing partners took a 14 lb Northern off the north end of Turtle Bar one spring and the next fall in the same spot he caught a 17 lb Musky. We were jigging for perch when he caught the muskie - 6 lb test line and an ultra light rod and reel. Some luck, Eh?
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked That's awesome... on both counts. I've been fishing for big northern up there for YEARS. Largest one I've caught is 38 inches. (maybe 12 lbs?) Especially catching the muskie on light tackle. That would be fun.

But it's huge, is in a good spot, has an excellent drop-off with deep water nearby. Makes sense that some big fish would be hanging there. I would... if I was a big fish. Razz
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else doing any fishing out there? Other than Grouch getting ready for opener... I hope someone has been out to wet a line.

I, personally, have not. Evil or Very Mad New job/more hours/coaching son's baseball team = no free time. Hope to get the boat out and change all that this next week.
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hit the water today for the season "shake-down" cruise. Got a late start. First spot I tried was Grass Lake bridge. Fished it for an hour, along with 4 other boats. Nada. Next I tried Marie for eyes. Best I could do there was a 16" drum. Good fight!! Trolled for a couple of hours, and nada. Next I tried Bluff. Just before I was going to pull lines and head in, I had a hit. Boated a really nice 4 pound eye. I measured it twice to make sure it was not in the slot. Just under by a 1/4 inch. Was going to try Michigan tomorrow, but I just checked the weather report. Winds from 14 mph, gusting to 35mph. Dang. That is a little too much wind for me.
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In preparation for the upcoming season, we are gonna have an impromptu fishfry at my sis's house this Sunday.....if you like Rockies, we'd be happy to have ya.

Next week on Wed I hit the trailer near Dixon for 5 days....figure I got a day and a half of raking leaves, then prep my rowboat, then I will relax for a few days.
Hope to tie into a few crappies, LMB, and gillies...might be too early for the cats though.

So get this--I have a maintenance free trolling motor battery and it's pretty new....kept it in the basement the last two winters and charge it regularly but it would still lose power quickly so I thought it was defective.
But I found out it ain't so maintenance free afterall...my bro-in-law popped the covers and guess how empty the cells were?
Good as new now I hope.
Nevadafisherman
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
I got out on East Grand Traverse Bay the other night searching for schools of jumbo perch. Water temp was in upper 30's to mid 40's range. Could locate any schools that were not moving all over the place. But sure felt good to get out on the water. Our walleye opener is a week from Saturday so I will be out then!

Tim
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad luck Gene. Odds are the battery is shot. One the acid level drops below the tops of the plates, a process occurs that causes the charge to drop rapidly. And, the battery not to take a full charge. That is the bad news. Now for the so-so news. check your warranty, if the battery is only a couple of years old you may be able to return it, at a loss, and get a replacement.
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad luck Gene. Odds are the battery is shot. One the acid level drops below the tops of the plates, a process occurs that causes the charge to drop rapidly. And, the battery not to take a full charge. That is the bad news. Now for the so-so news. check your warranty, if the battery is only a couple of years old you may be able to return it, at a loss, and get a replacement.
junior
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geno.....Be careful with those Rockies... You should eat fish 6 months or less after freezing them... Junior
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

junior wrote:
Geno.....Be careful with those Rockies... You should eat fish 6 months or less after freezing them... Junior

Junior, if he froze them correctly, he should have no problem. Many years ago I was clued in on freezing them in water. Since then, I have never had bad fillets from the freezer. As a matter of fact, a package of perch some how got shoved to the netherlands of the freezer. We found it some 19 months later. Thawed it out, they tasted just as fresh as the day they were caught.
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have historically kept them frozen up to a year with no problem.
With 50 days to go until Cass '10, we are beating our personal deadline of how long to keep 'em frozen.
Gonna have to stock up again!
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene With all the years you have been going to Cass has the weather ever been this warm prior to the second week of June...if so how was the fishing if you remember?

Last edited by IndyWalleye on Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were supposed to have hit Michigan yesterday. But, we canceled out due to the high wind. Hope to hit it soon. Have you guys seen any of the perch that they are pulling out of there? 14 and 15 inch perch are common. Man, that's a big perch. When I would get a 12 incher out of Cass I thought that was big.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: