Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
june trip
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wallys
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mm.
as always, good advice.. i too agree on the weed growth..last year there was very little in mid june...
we fished kitchi for the first time last year. only one afternoon, but had fun. seems like a very interesting lake as well. the weed growth was not abundant there either. still had fun with lots of pike. plan on a full day there this year to hit some interesting areas for some walleyes..again, hope for a warm spring.
i have never been through kitchi up to rice lake...any feedback. sounds fun
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right on no weed growth last year. We always go the second week in June, and most of the time, there are plenty of weeds. But last year, the second week, we had trouble locating the fish and the weeds. We caught fish, but not like we normally would.
wallys
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it was a weird year. Once we found the new weed growth, the fish were right there. Had success all over the lake(except that darn morning bite).
Mainly fished north side of Cass, but had some success in Andrusia and Kitchi on our day visits..weeds were the key
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son, grandson, and myself were also up on cass the 2nd week of june last year. Fished hard and brought home our legal limit of "walleye".{still the best eating in my opinion} Did well on good size eating rockies{pan fried MNNN.] But the best surprise was the 11 to 15 inch perch that we got into on Oneils point around 10 am on 2 different days. All in all a great week fishing on beautiful Cass.
wallys
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bueller..bueller..
anyone have any input on kitchi on up to rice lake? seems like it would be more of an early spot to fish???
Stearns
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallys,
Rice is more of an early season fishing spot. It is a very dirty lake. You can get into some crappies up there some times in the early part of the year. It is more of a spot to throw from some Large mouths. Hope that helps.
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitchi is no good. I wouldn't even bother fishing it at any time of the year. Laughing

You're right though. From Kitchi up to Rice...definitely a good "early season" part of the Cass Chain. Darker bottom means water temps climb faster than the main lake (Cass). Weed growth is usually a little ahead of Cass too. After fishing Kitchi for a LONG time, the most consistent conclusion I've come up with is... fish the weeds. The more cabbage in the weed-line/weed-bed, the better. Last year, with cold water temps, we fished in the emergent cabbage and caught walleye's in a LOT shallower than I expected. Even in mid-day! Right in the weeds too. In water as shallow as 5-6 ft. But water temps were only barely scratching 60 when we were up there in June last year. Probably upper 50s. Water in Kitchi and Rice seems more reflective of the turtle river than Cass. Can be clear early on, but there's more turbity/stain to it then what you'd ever see on Cass. So that helps keep the fish in shallower as well.

Once the H2O temps clear the low sixties. The fish still seem to be oriented off the weed edge, but in the 10-16 ft range. I'm sure people catch walleyes in Kitchi in the deeper water. Maybe in mid summer. I just haven't seen it when I'm there.

Perch... same places as the walleye. Though I've had better luck with nice perch and rock bass on the "humps" that run NW to SE across the northern half of the lake than in any other part of the lake.

Pike... all over. Good action lake. Especially if you like throwing flashy minnow/twitch baits. Rapalas and the like. Only caught a few pike in Kitchi over 30 inches... but there are plenty of little guys in there that like to be caught!

Crappies. Find the greenest emergent pencil reeds. Fish the edges and just inside. Run and gun until you find them. If we don't pick one up in 10 minutes, we're gone.

Stearns was right about the trip from Kitchi up to rice. Cast right in the weeds/slop. Can be some great LMB fishing.
wallys
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MM, once again thanks for the sharing advice on where to start on Kitchi.
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my question to all you Cass Lake Crazies___if you were fishing Kitchi at 6am during the 2nd week of June for WALLEYES,what would be your first best presentation and location? Have only fished Kitchi couple of times,and always been in mid afternoon. Planning to fish it early morning this year and was hoping for some good insight. Also it is the end of Feb. and all I can think of is Walleye fishing Cass.
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go over to in front of Lost Acres and dredge a jig'n'shiner in about 12' from E to W
or
I'd go past the powerline toward Lil Rice to the right and shuck some Lindy rigs wit a leech
but I don't fish walters.......MM?
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd find where the deepest water gets closest to the shore. Fish the transition area/drop-off. SLOW troll or drift if possible. If there are good weeds, make several passes. Start off with a pass as shallow as 8 ft. Make a couple other drifts at deeper depths. As slow as you can go. If the water is still in the 50s, jig n' minnow. 60 and above... Lindy rig with a leech or crawler (and a 3 to 6 ft leader). No extra hardware either except maybe a red or chartreuse hook. (air bubble in the crawler). Really been liking an 8 lb Vanish fluoro leader as well. Low-vis in the water, better abrasion resistance with snags and pike bite-offs. Rolling Eyes

Same routine as most other guys I guess. We make a few passes on a nice looking spot, if no fish, move. I used to make the mistake of staying on the good ol' "honey-hole" for an hour or more. Even if fish weren't biting! The ol' "We've caught 'em here before" stubborness. But now I've learned that if the fish aren't in their usual spots, we need to keep moving until we do stick a fish. Then we'll follow the pattern and repeat.

We follow this rule each year all over Kitchi. We'll stick to it until we catch enough 'eyes for dinner, or until I get bored enough with it to start casting for bass, pike, or 'skies! Very Happy
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GENE and MM....Thanks for the great replies, just what I was looking for.......the air bubble in the tail of the nightcrawler is very important in my opinion. The water temps were 57 to 63 last year when we were there.
junior
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene,
Junior's group is taking a break from Cass lake this year..Sad
We all got too much pressure for long family vacations this year... We will be doing weekend trips to the Chain. Have fun with the Rockies in Allen Bay.. junior
BlueDuck
Angler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ffishman wrote:
Dang, I've got to stop visiting this site. With us not going this year its getting real hard to read these posts about Walleyes and beer.

Not to worry Junior, I'm sure your friends on this board appreciate your sacrifice.
Really, we are all very grateful that you are giving us the opportunity to catch more fish
and have the chance to drink a few more beers afterwards in celebration. Laughing Twisted Evil

We will think about you. Wink
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Junior, we all play the sacrificial lamb at some time...got to keep the family happy too I know.
I've just been fortunate to only have to do that about 5 times since '75. Hopefully the week you give up this yr turns out to be a terrible weather week and you won't really miss anything -- and actually save on the cash. Accentuate the positive bud.

They'll be there next yr! And hopefully we all will be too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: