Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
SPEARING ON CASS LAKE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueDuck
Angler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: SPEARING ON CASS LAKE Reply with quote

I hear that the locals have an initiative going to overthrow the spearing ban
on Cass Lake. Just wondering if anyone has any information on this proposal.

Sure would hate to see the ban lifted. I understand the local economy is hurting
but this would be a short term remedy at best. Probably cost more in losses during the spring,
summer and fall than it would make up in the winter.
Stearns
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blueduck I have been hearing alot about this even have guys calling to get my take on it. The dark house association is the ones behind it I heard. they were trying to keep it hush hush. There is suppose to be a meeting coming up soon I thought today but havent heard. It is suppose to be a forum setting to get different views on the issue. I agree in the long run it wont help economy with it already being a hard lake to get on in the winter. I know alot dont have the same views as I do but I would rather see a slot on Northerns ( yes I said slot let the debate begin) and see Cass become a big time trophy lake. There are already alot of lunkers out there I know but a few more would be nice.
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not for spearing at all. Sorry. As for the slot length on northerns, I think a minimum size of around 38 inches would be better. Also, stopping the natives from indiscriminate killing of them would also help. I knew a native up there, and he told me years ago they came across a creek that was not on any maps. In the spring, it would be loaded with huge northerns. So, him and his buddies would go and spear them, ALL. And they did this year after year. The last time I saw him he said he can't figure out why, but there are NO MORE northerns in that creek. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Stearns
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a meeting tuesday the 23rd at the Cass lake legion about this issue. From what I am told this cass lake goup for spearing already has backing from Senator Mary Olson and she is passing some bill to lift the ban of spearing. I am planning on attending this meeting when I have more to report I will.
BlueDuck
Angler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out these articles at this link:

http://casslaketimes.com./index.php?searchword=spearing&ordering=&searchphrase=all&option=com_search
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: