Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
August 8-15 Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IAfishgal
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: August 8-15 Report Reply with quote

The fishing started out slow for us and from the sounds of it, it wasn't just us. Sounded like it was slow all around. I didn't do as much fishing this year (got out about once a day) because we took our newest little fisherman with us this year

He liked being on the boat but hated his life jacket!

The first morning I went out we picked up some nice sun fish and a couple of northerns back in Buck. Northerns seemed to be biting on almost anything. I caught mine on spinners with leaches and shad raps.

We did not have much luck with finding our perch holes this year. Spent one day over on Pike Bay on the southwest end. We were able to pick up a few over there, otherwise it was just picking up a couple here or there while trolling. On our way back from Pike a kid jumped off the bridge about 4 feet from our boat. It was one of those things where we were all sitting there thinking "They see us coming, right?!?" then the next thing we know we are under the bridge and he drops down right in front of us. The worst part was his mother was with him, and she didn't stop him! He was very lucky we didn't hit him!

We finally got some walleye action on the second to last night. We were over on the east side of Star using green spinners with crawlers in the evening. We'd let out line until we felt bottom then reel up just a little bit. I got this one (19 inches, 2 lbs. 2 oz.) just after dark

My uncle caught one the following night that was 22 inches and 3 lbs 14 oz. I think he was using a Firetiger Rapala in the same area.

We did go out for Muskies over by the Potato Islands one morning. I had one strike but that was all.

Overall, it was a great trip. The fishing was a little slow but the weather was perfect and the beer was cold! As a side note, we did make it golfing one afternoon at Sandtrap in Cass. Very nice course. We all had a lot of fun!

As always, I haven't even been home 24 hours and I'm already looking forward to next year!!

Last edited by IAfishgal on Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From all the reports, it seems like fishing has been a little slow up at Cass all summer. But, hey, you had a good time, caught some fish, and had a few beers. Doesn't get much better than that.
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good pics IAgal.....I spent some summer trips bout 15 yrs ago and I remember how tough it was in the heat which is why we go in June.

But no matter when, you can't beat a trip to Cass.

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.
MilitiaMan
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report, sounds like a fun trip. It may be my computer screen, but one of those fish your cousin caught looks like a muskie.
IAfishgal
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it wasn't a Muskie. It bothers me to think that it could have been. He was telling us about the Northerns he caught, I took the picture and didn't think twice about it until now.
Chris Haley
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a muskie the tail was collapsed, muskie tails are rigid.
MilitiaMan
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize, I didn't mean to kill the thread or make you take the photo down. I was just pointing out an observation that the two fish looked very different, color-wise, from each other. A fun trip for sure.
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey IAfishgal... great report and photos. Glad you all had a fun trip and got in to some fish. Wish I coulda seen the photo that got "taken down" though...

Next time I post a pic from up there, I'll probably won't look as comfortable as you did. Might be a tad chillier. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: