Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Reports 6/6-12/09
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueDuck
Angler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice article about the Blue Walleye here. Think it is probably the one Sven is referring to.

Bluewalleye.com
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s my report for the week:

First part of the week. Cold, wet, and crappy in general… but fishing wasn't too bad. Catching walleyes and HUGE bluegills in Kitchi along dropoffs... particularly where breakline ran against growing cabbage beds. Sometimes we were picking up fish in the middle of the day in 7 to 8 ft of water then back out in 12 to 15. That's Kitchi for you! But almost always in or near good weeds. Not sure if it was like this for everyone, but as the weather improved/stabilized throughout the week, the fishing just got tougher and tougher for us.

Caught a few bass when we got shallow enough for me to hit the reeds with bass gear. But like a couple years ago... the shoreline weeds were really behind... so it was hard for me to find the right kind of cover to hold bass. Lost a couple nice ones though. Rolling Eyes

Pike. Every where. All day. Every day. Biggest was 32 inches casting an X-rap on the deep edge of cabbage. Caught a TON in Perchy Bay while casting for muskies (SE corner of Kitchi).

Which brings me to my favorite subject. Thought I saw the flash of a nice tail on the north shore of Kitchi Tuesday afternoon. Went back there in the evening and caught what I'm guessing was the fish I saw earlier. X-walk Rapala topwater. The fish annihilated the bait on the deep edge of the weeds. Probably fought harder than any muskie I've ever caught. Very thick, chunky, healthy fish. Oddly enough, being that it was kind of dark, I didn't even bother to check the side of the fish that was facing the camera. Looks like it had a NASTY skin infection of some kind. Maybe someone had mishandled it and it rubbed off the slime perhaps? Didn’t look like typical post-spawn scratches/gashes. I don't know... but it looks kind of gross! The other side of the fish only had one spot on it.

After Tuesday, I maybe fished for muskies 30 – 40 % of the time? Saw two other really nice fish (low 40 inch range). One on Cass... and another in Kitchi. No biters though.

Outside of that, me and Dad caught enough walleyes to have 3 fries while we were up there. Brought home some fish too…. But not our limit. Other things worth mentioning...

• Had an awesome time with the Crazies at the Pike Hole. Texan, Gowdy, FF, Gene, Chris, Bro, Chad, Vitt, Kate, and all the other assorted cast and crew.
• Didn’t make it to Bemidji for a bar visit this year. Just once to pick up a new battery for the trolling motor at mid-day. : (
• Usual shenanigans at the Pike Hole. Frank, Gert, Todd, Tom, Kevin, P-Hole staff. Always a good time.
• Hung out at Kitchi Landing for the first time. Another great place to be. Nice bar. Nice TVs. MLB Channel! Owners Eric and Danielle are first rate.

Can’t wait to get back up there again this fall. Haven’t set my dates yet… but I already feel like I’m counting them down.

If anyone wants talk more detail as far as fishing, send me a pm and I’ll chat with you that way. Try to keep this novel to a minimum!

Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You truly are the "Muskie Mark" Looks like even with the weather you guys had you did well. Bluegill dinners are probably just as good as the Walleye IMHO. Great job finding the Skies Mark. When we go in Aug. & Sept. many of the "normal areas" are different because of water temps. and lower water levels and we have a hard time finding the big boys but the challenge is fun anyways. We usually spot them, "real long profiles", on the sonar in deeper water and they are very selective with all the baitfish around but we keep trying between the bass and pike fishing.

Anyways, good job to you and your dad Mark. We are looking forward to another trip there and the good times at Pike Hole. My son Mike and his family will be with me this year so it should be a great time. Thanks for a fine post. Bob
BlueDuck
Angler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job of describing your trip Mark, makes me won't to pack and leave tomorrow. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: