Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
One more week

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: One more week Reply with quote

The lake has seeen plenty of fishing pressure since opener. It seems most are having trouble catching fish under 17 inches but thats about to change. I guess it will be interesting to see what happens when the slot goes up. We have not had a lot of calls about lodging as a lot of the traffic seems to come just for the day.
Dan,Rob,Amy Mel and Ray spent a good part of the day on the lake saturday. They managed to find two more of the elusive upper red lake crappies and a couple of keeper walleyes.
Shawn,dave and shawns daughter and her friend rolled in yesterday. The guys fished for a bit yesterday and struggled a bit. they said they saw plenty of fish getting caught but did not have live bait and did not do so well.
With predicted light winds the next two days I expect they should get some action once the break down and buy bait.
After this coming weekend we are wide open with our cabins.
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday the weather was just to cold for Kellie,With a light rain and temps in the 40s I decoded I needed my fishing fix so I headed out around 3:30. The first spot I headed to was an area that I like to fish and tagged into a 26 1/2 inch waleye two years ago. I wanted to bobber fish as there was little wind and I needed to tend to some other fishing rods. It wasn't 10 minutes and I had my first fish on. As I set the hook I thought sweet this is a nice one. Rats it was a sheephead put up a dandy fight though. the next fish came just a few minutes later and was a smaller sheephead. Two for two was enough for me and I headed to a different area although I will be back as it is a fishy area.
Looking for my second spot I started by trolling a inline spinner. I started out a little deeper looking for a few rocks,when I hit 7.5 feet I had a nice fish on. Wow a beautiful 18 1/2 walleye. It was Fat and chunky. As I admired it I thought boy this one fish would feed Kellie and I. And man would a stringer of these make a nice picture. I then decided with little wind I would bobber fish the same spot. It was not long and I set the hook on a fiesty fish. I figured it may be a pike but up came a 24 inch walleye. My third fish was another 18 1/2 inch walleye that was skinnier then a toothpick? Wow what a difference compared to the other one. My forth and final fish was another chunky walleye at 18 inches. All in all pretty good fishing even though I did not get any keepers.
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Today is the big day Reply with quote

I will give a report tomorrow as to how many boats show up today to take advantage of the new slot. I have been keeping busy with the grandkids the last couple of days. We have done some fishing and yesterday they went swimming in the lake as the water temps jumped 10 degrees in one day. We
may try and go out today and catch a couple of fish for supper. There's no reason to take alot of fish as one 18 inch walleye would easly feed Kellie and I.
Lila and Randy pulled in yesterday and I see they got a couple of eaters yesterday. They hope to tag in to a big pike or two while there here. Were pretty wide open the rest of the summer as far as cabin rental . We will be hostimg some family and friends the rest of the season but other wise kind of quiet.
GORDONE
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: NICE CRAPPIES Reply with quote

WAS AT KNIFE LAKE IN MORA THIS WEEKEND
CAUGHT TO LIMITS OF NICE CRAPPIES
9"-12" RANGE
THREW ALOT BACK AS WELL
NOT ANY WALLEYES THO Sad
4 LIL SNAKES
5 LARGE MOUTH
JUST WAS NICE GETTIN SOME VITAM D SITTIN IN THE BOAT
TROLLIN ALL DAY
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say there were just as many boats here yesterday as there was for opener. Where they all come form I have know idea. The few I talked to had limited success. Lila and Randy had great fishing in the early part of the day and it tapered off after the wind picked up a bit. Mike and Diane caught a 42 inch pike and I will be taking them walleye fishing later today.
I went for my first swim with the grandaughter. The water was refreashing Now she we will want me to go swimming everyday.
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lake has been getting fished pretty hard this week. I had the pleasure of taking Mike and Diane out tuesday late afternoon. Diane had the hot jig but Mike stayed even with her as we caught a total of around 24 fish with the biggest just over 19 and the smallest 8 inches. We found a spot with no boats and drifted. A plain jig seemed to work the best as I experimented with different twister tails and jigs.
Lila and Randy have done well all week and yesterday had a big pike on for a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: