Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
DO OUR BEST

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: DO OUR BEST Reply with quote

While yuze guys are catching my favorite eating fish, having a few pops, somehow the rest of the populations will try to survive....

We had a great day on the White River, the "better half", naturally caught the biggest Brown, 20.5 inches, I caught a poor Cut Throat Trout, 15.5 inches, but I had to listen to the scuff until we docked the boat. Brown went back, Cut Trout is currently on the smoker, over a mix of Hickory and apple.

I have already developed and implemented Ron's Rules:
First, You must fish everyday, unless you are golfing.
Second, and most importantly, if it is cloudy, hit the big lake for the Walleye, if it is a nice day with sun, go trout fishing on a beautiful, cyrstal clear waters I have ever seen.

Below is the prize for today:

Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful fish Annie and for the Col. It seems like an awful long time ago my wife started fishing with me and is now my bestest partner. She also many time skunks me also. I kiddingly like to say its because she has the best "Sgt. Bob guide"

Like youse guys, when we can't get on the lakes for whatever reason, usually boat traffic, we head for the hills, mts, and streams where we also catch nice trout but usually not like the one you caught Annie. Great job gal.

Hickory flavored trout. Now that makes me hungry for a stream/ trailside cookout. And it seems like there is always some great scenery by the rivers and streams. Good job guys.

Many times my son Mike skunks me too. Here he is by a lower stream last fall. Sometimes I get caught up just looking over the scenery. Hmmmm. Eat, sleep, fish, repeat as needed.

rs
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is gorgeous out there. If you didn't know what State you were in, you would swear you are out by you or in Colorado.

Just a side note, on Outdoor Channel, they have a fishing show from 7:30am, to 8:30 Central, featuring fly fishing. Today, they were on our White River, precisely where we fish. They landed a 30 plus inch Brown, probably in the area of 20 pounds. Biologist predict because of samplings, the next world record will be out of the White between Bull Shoals and Cotter.

Ron
powerdive
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what does that world record brown eat? Probably what fishermen normally catch...

I once had a muskie grab a keeper walleye on the Wishbone on Cass.

I believe in big baits/big fish, enough to experiment with it as a seasonal strategy. One of these days, that walleye of a lifetime is going to hit one of my saltwater lures...

I hope.
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The large Walleye Divers and on the other hand the Bink Spoons are the best bet going right now. When I return, there will be some leeches in the lake, I will give you a report then, if all works well with the import.

Ron
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powerdive & Col Ron, out here in Flaming gorge reservoir the guys fish for Lake trout we call Mac's and use what they affectionately call cow bells, like the old Green Bay rigs we used in the big lakes in Wisconsin. A long(sometimes 6 feet) series of big spinners with a monster spoon at the end, something like a 10" long by 3" wide. These lakers/Macs go to 50 lbs+ and many times of the year are in 100' of water. BIG BAITS DO CATCH BIG FISH, at different times of the year, especially in the fall when forage is also bigger. In Sept. when I go, I always find at least some times to throw or troll 10-12" baits.
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

You are bringing back the memories now. We did that in Big Green Lake, Wisconsin, back in the 70's with much success and fun. Green Lake, if I recall correctly, was about 240 feet deep, it was great.
Thanks for the flashback,

CR
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Col Ron, big Green lake also brings up a memory of my first and only scuba dive there. I went with a good friend who I worked with who was a master diver and helped me with my first dive. Went off an island where the water went from where we anchored in about 30' of water down to the deep part of that lake which we later found on a map in the local gas station to be 280' And did I mention the water was crystal clear like off shore in Florida. Outstanding. My friend was amazed at the water clarity in that lake. I heard of great Walleye fishing there.
Thanks for bringing that up.
powerdive
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never fished Big Green...used to go to church camp on Little Green every year.

I do believe Big Green produced the state inland record laker.

However, Geneva may push that before long. I've heard of 30's coming outta there. It's 140 feet deep...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: