Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Walleye netting to start this summer on Upper Red Lake......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crappieslayer
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Walleye netting to start this summer on Upper Red Lake...... Reply with quote

How can this be happening? They say it's going to be limited but the last time they said it wasn't going to happen at all. What's next, they go full bore with netting!? Well if they start netting the lake, I think the DNR should give up stocking walleyes, and start stocking millions of crappie fry. Then we could have another crappie boom. I think that attracted more people to the area than the walleyes do anyways?
Buck
Spinner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Walleye netting to start this summer on Upper Red Lake.. Reply with quote

Crappieslayer wrote:
How can this be happening? They say it's going to be limited but the last time they said it wasn't going to happen at all. What's next, they go full bore with netting!? Well if they start netting the lake, I think the DNR should give up stocking walleyes, and start stocking millions of crappie fry. Then we could have another crappie boom. I think that attracted more people to the area than the walleyes do anyways?

Netting wasn't the only factor in the decline of the walleye for Red Lake. There were a number of things that took place which had an impact. If they keep the netting in check and follow through with enforcement like they say, it should not be a problem. The amount of walleye taken so far vs. the quota of which they are allowed has not even been close yet, they have been 100's of thousand pounds short of their quota.

Enforcement and tight management is the key thing here, and not just for the netting but the black market selling of walleye as well as the non-native's staying within our limits.

I think everything will be okay, time will tell.

Buck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: