Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
The season is underway for me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: The season is underway for me Reply with quote

Besides the fishing I have done yesterday was the first day I spent the entire day on the lake and it sure felt good to be back. All three of the deluxe houses are blocked,banked and ready to auger for the up and coming weekend. Utah will also be going out today as I spend another entire day on the lake. Of course I had 1 hiccup as the heater in one of the houses quit working. I had tested it out on shore with no problems running it for two days as I cleaned and repaired a few things. When I pulled it out of the woods it set out on the lake in the snow storm and ran like a champ?
Kellie and I may have dinner in old minnesota tonight to kick off the season. Its her favorit house and also mine. We have all 5 sleepers rented for the weekend which is good news for our pocket books.
The Red Baron is at the shop waiting to be picked up. New lock outs were in order as well as a cooling sensor and new battery.
Ouch but that is the nature of the beast. Blue thunder performed well and I even did a little cross country drive to westwind road looking for the gas man when the furnace went out.
I have committed to going out of agassiz again this year as he is willing to go to the north shore if need be. I tried to make arrangements to go out of Hillmens but they seem to have plenty of business and do not need me . I do miss westwind and they are the premier resort here and run a first class operation.
Jeff from agassiz is one of the hardest workers I have ever met. He built a wood shop this fall and is selling some tables,fish measuring boards,picture frames and other uniqe pieces of wood. We bought a picnic table from him last year and will more then likely get another for our guest when there staying here in the summer. They are one of a kind and made out of ceder.
If you need to butter up to the sweethart when your in waskish stop by Sandy's as you come in to town,she has all sorts of antiques and things made form the area.
North Country convience store has all munchies a guy would need and also offer off sale . The owner Frank and Jana are super nice people. The wife Kellie works there so who knows maybe you can meet the better half. Thay also offer wild rice grown and packged from the farmer I work for, Rinestone farms.
Which ever resort you go out of this winter please be carefull and use common sense. Stay away from the berm Hillmens has built along the south side of there road as it will turn into slush at some point in time and its not a good place to get stuck. Good luck to all Cookieonupperredlake.com
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: OOPS Reply with quote

cookiesonupperredlake.com
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Day 2 Reply with quote

Today was another busy day. I had to pick the Red Baron up as I had the lock outs rebuilt and a cooling sensor had gone out. I then packed up a few things and took Utah out to a secret spot. Again it was a busy day but all five sleepers Old minnesota,montana,florida.california and utah are ready to go. Frank and his crew will be arriving around 10 am with Barb and her husband pulling in around 2 pm. Then it will be a late night when Adam and his crew roll in aroun 10 pm. I also would like to get both of our day houses new york and colorado on the lake saturday. Still not sure about bringing out alaska but I have a feeling it will be on the lake sometime after Jan.1rst. It was quite busy out there today as rentals were going out on the lake most of the day.
I will have a great fishing report this weekend as we host close to 30 fishermen over the weekend. Let the fun begin
onthepond
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookie sounds like you have been rather busy. I am sorry this weekend fell through but I am planning on arriving in Waskish around 10 am Sunday morning and I am quite excited. I have read several reports and they all have been good. Not many people seem to be complaining about the bite. I am looking forword to helping Jeff and you both. And will probably learn a thing or two. Good luck fishing as I know you will have your guests on fish. See you Sunday
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jake
Jeff said bring a skill saw.Hammer and rechargable drill.
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Day Three Reply with quote

Yesterday was our first day with a fulll house.
Everyone was catching a couple of keepers and missing a few fish. Frank, Danny and Swaggs all missed a fish while I was augering two extra holes in california. The beer was going down and getting spilled to boot.
Barb and Pat are in minnesota and in total relaxation mode. I spent a 1/2 hour or so visiting and they are very nice people.
Frank and his crew have three houses and Swaggs was up to 22 beers when I stopped in. Thats about 21 to many beers for me. Little Buddy aka Danny wants me to post a pic of him with his fish. I guess he thinks he will become famous? He has to catch one first
Adam,John and Ed rolled in around 10 last night so I will not know how they did until later today.
I willl be moving California later today as Frank and his crew all want to be closer today and tonight for there card game .
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ll day five on the lake I beleave. We had a nice little snow and wind storm yesterday afternoon about the time Jake and I went out of Hillmen's looking for some fish. Oh well next time.
I did move california for frank and the boys. Frank and Danny AKA little buddy rode in the house while i towed it. We got them set up and they all had a great time. Frank said they caught a total of 23 fish after I moved them. Montana was the slowest house and not sure if they ended up with 4 limits or not. Florida had 8 yesterday and 1 crappie. Old minnesota got there 6 and released quite a few . Utah did real well friday night and had there 9 by 11am on saturday.
Adam and the guys went to a spot I reccomended. They headed out saturday morning and were back by 3pm with there 12.
Today they were going to check out the center bar for a couple of hours before they headed home.
Jake is spending the night on the lake and I 'm ready to hit the sack. I was out fishing with him for a bit and we released 5 walleyes all under 17 inches. Its a nice fishy area and I will be bringing all the sleepers around that area in the next few days.
ruger1
Spinner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookie, everytime I check on here you are replacing something on those trucks. Perhaps it's time to park them on the ice and let mother nature take care of them when the spring thaw comes. Then buy something newer and bigger and more durable. Cool
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how to answer that. Mother nature is brutal out there. 100 days in a row takes a toll on any equippment. From my experiance your better offf with older equippment that you can repair in a pinch or repair yourself. last thing I need is a check engine light. Blue thunder has been a great truck , we built it to move fish houses and that it does well. the red baron is abit newer and was purchased it cut my own trails off of the main resorts that I have my houses out of, It was never intended to maintain a 4 lane highway.
I 'am alway on the look out for another late 70s early 80 3/4 ton 4x4. to add to the fleet.
Crappieslayer
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookie, thanks again for the accomodations of your cabin, that was a very nice place to stay! Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday, we did end up venturing all the way out to the center bar in what ended up being a blizzard! There were only 3 houses out there and they were all on the NE edge of the bar. And that's where the road stopped. So there hasn't been much action out there as far as people. We knew where we wanted to fish on the center bar, but couldn't get there because of the huge drifts and snow. Didn't want to risk getting stuck out there in that nasty weather too. Wow that wind was whipping! And cold! So we ended up heading in towards Roger's and were going to setup amongst all the other houses. Then we had auger trouble. Somehow my switch broke off on top, and also my throttle wasn't doing anything. Weird deal, gonna have to have someone look at it. So, no real report from the center bar, just that right now there is VERY limited travel because the road pretty much stops on the edge. I was pretty disappointed that the road just stopped and they didn't make a loop or anything. Who knows though, it is early in the season and I'm sure there will be traffic out there like usual later on. Thanks again Cookie for pointing us in the direction of those fish! You are the man! Happy Holidays!
Leebo
Spinner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps it's time to park them on the ice and let mother nature take care of them when the spring thaw comes. Then buy something newer and bigger and more durable.

Yeah Cookie... and while you're at it, you should buy a Cadillac Escolade to shuttle folks around in, and maybe a dozen or so of those nice chrome 8 person sleeper shacks... You know, the ones with the flip down ping-pong tables and the jacuzzis...Oh, and I have been meaning to ask if you could put a 52" flat screen in Old Minnesota for me...and a Sleep Number bed...and maybe an awning, that sun can get warm in March. Get right on that stuff, won't you?[/quote]
onthepond
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookie, thanks for a great weekend and a lot of fun. Fishing was great and I am not sure if people really understand how good the fishing is right now. I figured that I caught around 15 fish for the weekend and lost another couple and I hardly even fished! I think all the guests this last weekend left with a limit of walleyes, thats quite amazing. I look forword to the next time I can get up there which I hope wont be long. You run a real first class operation to the fullest extent. finding fish, cleanliness, accessabilitly, etc. all top notch. Again thanks for the weekend and maybe next time we can do a little more scouting. Tell Kelli Merry Xmas
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its always nice having you up Jake. Next time I plan on putting you to work though Laughing . Its not all about fishing Rolling Eyes . I guess my history lesson did not go over to well as I can not access the other site Question Not sure why as I enjoyed all the banter. And Jonny P is a gifted writer.
All the kids will be coming up this week and we will be fishing for fun. With the grand kids out there it will be the 6th generation wetting a line on upper red lake.
Lee I like the idea of a flat screen and the sleep number bed would be real sweet. Have you written a new show yet. We have quite the soap opra up here and should brain storm when your here. Look forward to visiting, Have a merry xmas.
Bigdog

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also enjoyed reading ...[and snippety snip]

{from the Admin: Please read the TOS link at the bottom of the page?}
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: