Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Damaging the crappie population

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Damaging the crappie population Reply with quote

With 10 trucks out 10 miles and 30 or so fishermen and a dozen augurs the hunt was on yesterday. Starting in the area that produced the night before Jonny boys customers hit the first honey hole and landed 10 with 7 coming within a minute or two. They were up to 14 when I left at dark. The next group of four went a little west of them and had 24 before dark with the biggest crappie I have seen this year. That fish made there 14 looks small? Over 6 inches tall and close to 3 inches thick. They want me to tow there ice castle out there today? Jeff from Agassiz had 4 in no time and Mark and his two buddies had two and were hoping for a night bite. Doug and Geno were up to 16. Tyler from Bearpaw came out with 5 people and had there portables up for the evening bite. I hate to say it but I fished about 20 holes and never found a crappie? Oh well the fish are for customers. I have caught my share and will get a few before the season is over.
Helmetguy16
Spinner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Questions Reply with quote

Cookie-

The trader (Brad) and I might make a trip up there tomorrow afternoon. How's the shoreline and road conditions? Is it pretty easy to get out to the hot area? After reading the past two reports, we're getting an itch to go up there for one last hoorah of the season. Thanks cookie!

Helmetguy
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling the snow may be gone when I go down there this morning. Getting out there yesterday was not to bad. I'm thinking today could be real good fishing. Yesterday was fun as we hole hopped around . We got about 20 from noon until 2 when I left. I have to head out there this morning to retrieve a ice castle
Helmetguy16
Spinner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will be up there around 2 this afternoon. See you out there Very Happy
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a few hours with John and Spencer yesterday and could not find a crappie? Being cloudy and cool I tried numerous holes with no success? I guesss the bite switched to after dark ? Kellie said when Jonny came in at 10:30 they had 15. Foiled again. It would be nice to find some fish closer to shore as driving out 10 miles is becoming quite the trip. Its hard to fish somwhere else when you know the area we have fished all year is still producing..
I still have not put our houses on shore as the snow really piled up down on our shoreline. The tranny we put in the red baron did not work out and all we have is reverse and low gear. Once I break a trail out to the houses I will need to be able to get them to shore before the sun melts the shallow shoreline. Been waiting for mother nature to soften things up and again she is showing me who's boss. I imagine I will be doing some more fishing this week as I continue to look for the mother load.
slabby
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellll let's hear your report Helmetguy. you make it up sunday pm?
What da ya mean trader Brad?? like fur trader? Laughing
Pretty sure cookie spelled it 'traitor' on our initial greeting Wink
We still loveya cookie - thanks for all the reports
cateyes maybe you can chime in with a second hand report?
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did make it up but the fish were not cooperating during the day. If they stayed after dark they may of gotten a couple. The rest of the guys got 16 total I think. Spencer and John only got three and are trying a new area tonight? I took the day off from the lake and will be out again tomorrow.
cat eyes
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cookie was right they stayed till 930 and got 2 crappies lots of walleyes still biting it was a long drive off he said went out of west wind and cut to the north west wind was closed at 10 so no burger like they were hoping for Crying or Very sad but there was a pork chop in every can so im sure the were ok Laughing
Helmetguy16
Spinner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the delayed report...school kept me really busy today. We started fishing about 3 pm and within 20 minutes Brad and I had each caught a walleye. It took probably 2 hours and 25+ holes later before the next walleye was caught. Had a little flury of 4 or 5 walleyes and 2 perch around 5 pm. I caught the first crappie around 630 plus four more walleye. Brad caught the second crappie probably around 7 or so. Fished for another hour and a half and caught 3 or 4 more walleyes while losing a couple more. The first crappie I caught was already on the bottom when I dropped the vex down. As soon as my bait got down to him, he pounded it. Brought home the two crappies which were 14.25" and 13.5" plus a 10.5" perch. Left the spot at 9:05 and didn't get to shore until 9:45. needless to say, it took 40 minutes to travel 10 miles on the mighty red. All in all, we got 2 crappies, 2 perch and close to 15 walleyes (plus losing a handful of fish!) and that made it worth the trip. Good to see you again Cookie! Good luck with the rest on the rest of the ice season. See you next winter!
slabby
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report- all 3 of you boyz.
just giving you a hard time hg! hope you didn't make brad drill too many holes. He's pretty old and used to fishin' in the Castle. Laughing
Good job getting out to the big Red! It is a tough nut to crack, trying to get the end run of them crappies.
Helmetguy16
Spinner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad couldn't drill any holes after that heart incident. I drilled every hole and my arms definitely felt it all day long. Probably gonna call it a season and get ready for the open water season. Going to the NW Sportshow this weekend to get pumped up for open water.
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff from agassi and I headed out last night at 5:30 pm. Stilll driving out 10 miles in Jeff deisel ? After taking a day off of the lake it seemed some areas lost water while other areas held water? Arriving to our planned spot I fired up the auger while Jeff found his old honey holes. I wish I new why the area keeps producing crappies while other area do not? I punched 5 quick holes in the area and marked a fish in the second hole. Minutes later I had a walleye. I moved to the next hole and landed my first crappie of the night only to get my glove wet. jeff took the quick lead and had three on the ice while I lost 2 or 3 fish? After checking all the holes again I punched 5 more holes only to loose a couple of more fish while Jeff was up to 4. I then landed my second crappie. while Jeff landed his 5th. One more fish for me and one more for Jeff as darkness crept up on us I was ready to go as my hands were cold. Jumping in the truck the temp was just below 32 but with the slight breeze it felt more like 15? We got back off the lake before 9 pm and came off of westwinds road. With some friends coming up this weeknd we will be fishing all day saturday as I'm still looking to fish in some nice weather? As alway I have no problem sharing the area we have fished all year its just a long drive out there?
slabby
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the rough ice have added attraction to the crappies? That seemed to be what it took last year-- along with old snow banks from roads and around old house locations. Maybe something to do with defusing the right part of the light spectrum, at least during the day?
it's hard to believe how much of difference just a few feet can make though but you see it on Red all the time.
Talked to Brad last nite for the first time in a month or so helmetguy. Found out what you were talking about-i didn't know
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: