Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Is it worth the 4 hour trip?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MillerHighLife
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Is it worth the 4 hour trip? Reply with quote

Is it worth driving from Moorhead to try my luck on Upper? I want to catch some walleyes and crappies, but I dont want to waste my time if its going to be slow. Any info would be appreciated.
Fish Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were there last weekend-first night real good-rest of the time pretty slow. During the day we headed up to lake of the woods and night back to red. We are heading back this weekend. Even though a little slow it better than anything in the cities so far this year.
Hawghunter
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishing is a gamble anywhere you go. Red has a great population of walleyes and the crappie are there. You may have to hunt for them though or you may set up on top of the mother load. Any way you look at it, it beats most other ares. Good luck.
Leebo
Spinner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it worth the 4 hour trip? Reply with quote

MillerHighLife wrote:
I want to catch some walleyes and crappies, but I dont want to waste my time if its going to be slow.

Amen Brother. It would be great to get a gauruntee that it won't be slow before heading out somewhere, If you figure out how to do that, let us know. My .02 would be; If you are even a little mobile, there is no better walleye lake in the state, period. It's not even close. (and yes, I DO fish Lake of the Woods). Granted, the bag is two, but if you like catching walleyes, and I mean healthy fish, and you are willing to move around a little, It's a flat out no-brainer, Red is the spot. You won't be dissapointed. Plus, you have the added bonus at a chance to drop in on some monster slabs and the perch are there too...Not to mention world class trophy northern fishing.
WallyDiver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I drive up 3 to 4 times a year from Rochester. 6 and half minimum if the weather is good. IMO URL is the best fishing lake in Minnesota. Even if you have no idea what you are doing you will stumble on some walleye. Read the posts on this site and some others for tips on baits, and stay mobile. You will catch fish. Red can be slow like other lakes, there never is a gaurentee, but IMO it is as close to a guarentee you can get. I would be happy to share any info I have on baits, area, depth. Just let me know. I would make the trip every weekend if my wife would let me Very Happy
PimplySwede
Spinner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first trip I made up to URL, the walleye season was still closed. We searched for the crappies, caught a couple, but the highlight of the trip was hearing my father (walleye fisherman diehard) exclaim as the fish neared the top of the hole, "Aw geez!!! Another !$%@@#@@ walleye!!!"

When HE gets sick of hauling in beautiful, healthy walleyes, the fishing has to be excellent.

We drive 5 1/2 hours a couple times a year to fish URL in the winter. We've been fishing with Cookie for 3 years now, and our group gets bigger each year. We've got 5 shacks reserved (and working on filling a 6th) for mid-February.

Yeah, it's worth it.
LABS4ME
Spinner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasting time in your life? WOW! How can fishing ever equate to wasting time in your life...

If you are looking to fill buckets with fish... might want to find a place closer to home. That way if it doesn't work out for you, you won't look at it as having wasted time in your life.

If you're looking to come to Red and have a good time and possibly do well fishing and meet some dog gone nice people who make a living up there and enjoy the area and what it has to offer, you'll probably have a ball.

I don't put that much pressure on myself when I go fishing, my life is filled with stress and fishing is my release, if I was worried about piss pounding fish to have a good time, I'd hang up my poles. Relax, have a good time and all will work out in the end.

Weekend tallies in the -24 temps... 14 walleye and 4 crappie for 8 guys... we threw back probably another 20 small walleye and half dozen that were in the low to mid twenties... I'll take it any day of the week and twice on Tuesday!

Good Luck!

Ken
Clark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you Labs, fishing is a great get away, who cares if you catch fish (there are a bonus). Getting together with friends and family on Red is what it's all about. My son and his buddy drove up (8 1/2 hours) to relax, BS and have a good time and to be on the best walleye lake to try to catch a few. A good time was had by all and we took some fish home too.

Clark
MillerHighLife
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the great comments, I appreciate it immensely.
You guys are right, fishing without an end result isnt a waste of time...just being out there is what its all about. I think I will plan a trip to Upper Red in the next two weeks. See you up there!

PS- Any hints on where to get on the lake and where to drive to (general area).
Crappieslayer
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have always had good luck going out of Agassiz. Get your assortment of bait right there and head out on the super highway that they have plowed. They have a lot of fingers plowed off of the main road as well so you can easily navigate around and find fish without getting buried. Try to get in the deepest water possible. Take a look at a map of Upper Red and you'll figure out where to go. You can also usually tell where the bite is good because all the fish houses in the area have a vehicle parked next to them. Good luck!
shaky legs 2
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have been up on Red by this weekend a total of 12 days so far this year. There will be three weeks from the end of January until mid February when I can't come but from the middle of February until ice out I will be there every weekend. Do we catch fish all the time??? The answer is no if you are fishing exclusively for crappies but you will catch walleyes, perch and maybe a big northern. I was there in the late 90's to the early 00's when you could plunk down almost anywhere on the mud or a transition area and catch a pail full of crappies. At 8:00 p.m. there would be a string of tail lights coming off the lake that would remind you of cars leaving old Met Stadium afte a Twins game and everyone had their limit.

That is not the case today but I still love coming and trying to match my wits against the elusive crappie. The hunt is half the fun.

p.s. I live West of the Cities and have a 300 mile drive one way to Red.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: