Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
First Time Out This Year!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beef58
Spinner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: First Time Out This Year!!!! Reply with quote

Well I finally made it out for my first fishing trip this year... Water temp was 50.6 degrees and the water level was about 6-9 inches down from normal level. I was not on Cass but another area lake... Perch were on top of the breaks and the crappies were suspended in 15-20 feet of water....

It was sure nice to be on the soft water again!!!!!

Beef
Nevadafisherman
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beef,

If you could predict the future...what do you think the water levels are going to be like on Cass over memorial day weekend based on the levels now???

Nevada
The Texan
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you believe the long term weather guessers....the first and second week of May are supposed to be wet up that way....Fingers crossed.....

I still go back to my post of many months ago...If Colonel would buy a dang air boat, we would not even be worried at all!!!

Texan
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was listening to those dang airboats all during February in South Padre. THE most obnoxious sounding machine on a quiet, calm body of water that I have ever heard. They aught to outlaw those pieces of garbage.

Not going to worry at all about the depth this year. I am on probation with my insurance company. I promised them I would only use my kicker this season. You boys don't want to get your hair messy anyways! Twisted Evil

Colonel Ron, guide
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hair? Now that's a real slip of the tongue.

My first outing will be Sat - supposed to be 70 and then 75 on Sunday. Hope we can find some keepers. And we might even sign up for the LMB tourney just for giggles.
(I don't have to worry about messing my hair with my ultra-powerful 36Thrust trolling motor, that's for sure).
The Texan
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I'm talking about Colonel, we need to make sure everyone on Cass knows it's the Colonel when he is full throttle in his airboat!!!!

Since I have no hair, I still don't see the problem.... Cool

Texan
beef58
Spinner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 33 yrs old. I'm catching you guys in a hurry in the hair department Laughing Laughing Laughing

As for predicting the water levels, I'm praying to the water gods that we keep getting rain all year long.... Now to make it nice for our visitors I would be asking from the gods that the rain is from 1:00 a.m.-4:30 a.m. That would allow for some fun fishing and relaxing!!!!

What I see right now is the power dam is wide open and from what I hear is the possibility of the knutson dam area to be lowering the amount of water being let out from Cass... That would have a dramatic change on the water levels for Cass and Pike Bay....

I'm on a DNR advisory councel that is meeting this next week and I will relay any info that comes out of the meeting about the future of Cass Lakes water level... Hopefully we can figure this out sometime soon...

As for current water levels, they are up BUT anywhere from 3-7 inches from the END of last year... Now that is a start but we have A long way to go.... We need some more rain up here right now... The fire danger is moderate and we did recieve some nice rains last week... It has been dry now for a week and we are predicting around 70's this weekend....

Beef
The Texan
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear 'em out at the council meeting, we need that lake up around a foot it sounds like to me!!!!

Texan
carpy52
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been listening to what is going on about the lake levels and it seems to me like it is the big business that is deciding what is done with the water levels... Now I might be wrong so don't go yelling at me but I just don't understand how they can let this happen. I always thought that dams were there to regulate water levels so that flooding didn't occure and that wildlife would have a sturctured living habitate? Am I wrong??? I have heard that they have siad that without opening up Casses lock that the down stream areas would dry up but then agian what has been keeping them from closing the down stream dams if there are any and just letting it back up till they reach acceptable levels through out???? It just makes ya wonder that they would let one area be affected and lose the income from that area so that another area could be kept at a certian level... What they need to do is a over all study to see what has caused the low water through out the area, I don't think that low snow or rain can account for such drastic changes... So with out all the buricatic bull hockey anyone have a simple idea as to what the real problem is?????
beef58
Spinner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carpy,

I will be the first to admit that when it comes around to the Army corp of engineers I have NO CLUE on what there reasons are on the operations of the dams... I do know that they like to control the flow during the spawning season so each species has the best chance to due their thing. In my opinion I also think they have a good idea of what is going on with the water levels.. Now at the meeting I will try to get some of these answers and let y'all (Texan Slang) know what is going on or what they will be doing to try to fix it..

It is NICE out today wish I was on Cass!!!!

Beef
Clark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Cass looks to be ice free, it's a little hard to tell on the east shore with binoculars (6 - 7 miles) but from what I can tell it's gone.It's been in the upper 60's and low 70's all week.
I am also on the councel so between us (Beef & I and a few others in the area) hopefully we can get some answers.
According to the spot I use to guage the normal water level I would say we are just a little high but I've only been here 7 years.
Here is a site to check on Cass Lake water levels (when they get around to posting) http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/chippewa/conditions/index_waterlevel.php

Clark
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Clark, when you go to this consul. Do you have a wish list of things that need to be done? Maybe they could clean out the end of the channel going into Pikes. Deepening it would be wonderful, but, I know that will never happen. One can only hope.
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beef & Clark, I believe you are going to the same meeting:

Could you please find out why the website (the one in Clark's previous post)has not been updated ifor almost a month?

Colonel Ron, guide
Clark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is the same meeting (the one I mentioned to you if you were going to be here April 30th) and the "feds" run the water level site ?????????????need I say more.................
We can check into both items.
If anyone else has sugestions lets here them....

Clark
Brian Jones
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DNR told some of us at a meeting last year they were not bothered by the low water much. They said it was good to have these low water levels for the regrowth of lost vegetation. Cass has been loosing much of its pencil reed beds and this could be a good chance to regain some of there size. So as far as the CORPs and DNR are concerned...they aren't too much.

Saw a boat on Cass yesterday so it is time to get out!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: