Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Who's the anal-est?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After so many trips together, that's how it goes: everybody has their place.

I suppose I'm the "boy scout" or the neat freak, always want to be prepared, ready for anything. I swear if it wasn't for me sometimes they would forget bait or food or drinks or raingear or our licenses or gas for the motor or whatever isn't attached to their body.

My buddy is the guide. Many years ago, I think it was him or his mom who stuck him as "Sven, the guide". Can always count on him to want to fish until the very last fish is caught....used to be until we run out of bait, but that hardly happens anymore what with pieces of crawler or smashed minnow heads/bodies or crappie niblets or beetle spins or the fact that we now buy leeches by the pound and last yr even bought a flat of crawlers.

His son is getting to be like him what with his own boat and all. And him and my nephew are doing more prep work at the docks so all we have to do is bring our gear down. And each is starting to even clean more and more of our catch so that's gonna help contribute each succeeding year OR they can package them or do some cabin clean-up or help out somehow.

Our other buddy hasn't been with us much the last seven yrs but he was our Chef for about 20+ trips - with him we always "ate like Kings". Now with my sisters going, they do lots of cooking/warming up the food, prepping the table, doing dishes, and general cabin cleaning.

And Sven's dad, at 80+, is our "shopper". He likes to take a couple trips to Walker or Bemidji each week just to relax and he loves to bring us surprises from Teals. And he preps lots of lunches for out on the water for us all week.

Somehow it all works out for our group UNTIL the LMB patrol comes around. Nyuk, nyuk.
THEN it is time to drink!
Gowdy 1
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geno,

Me too!! All I do is clean up after everyone else. Pick up empty beer cans, cigar butts, you name it. Heck, I even am the one who makes sure we all have clean towels for showers, soap, and all of that stuff. Clean shaved everyday. Always sober.

What can I say. Except, I understand.

Gowdy Laughing
The Texan
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gowdy, you are 100% certified full of poop..... Shocked

Texan
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texan, I think you give Gowdy too much credit. And I have this funny feeling Gowdy was NOT talking about hisself that time. See "facetious" in the dictionary and I'll bet his pic is there.

If it wasn't for our friendships, we might not have all these great memories of our trips.

Last year we had 2 mornings of rain and all we did was sit and look out the window hoping we could get out there. Forgot all about cards. Oh well, I'll have to bring a deck this yr.

So, who are the best Hearts or Spades players? Or do you guys only sit and drink and smoke cigars and not play cards at all? I propose a card tournament after lunch --- penny a point?
Who's in?
BlueDuck
Angler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Texan wrote:
Gowdy, you are 100% certified full of poop..... Shocked

Texan

But can he catch fish?????
The Texan
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene,

42 is my game of choice but Gowdy and Head have a heck of a time with multiples of 5

BD,

Gowdy is pretty dang good at catching fish, it was he who got me "hooked" on coming up there in the first place...

Texan
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're giving him too much credit again????

Hey, I can understand how a fellow-numbercruncher can have trouble wit rithmetic....I am lost without my calculator.

And how do you play 42? Never mind, I'll try to find out on the Internet, or as I call it, "the downfall of society".
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EEEeeekkkk....that did not take long.
Here is what I found:
"...strategy and lore of the National Game of Texas and is the only book that delves in depth into the beloved domino bidding game of "42". Includes tournament information, champions, history, and statistical odds"

I remember some earlier posts now about Dominos...forget it-I don't see anything there about mixing drinking and dominos.
The Texan
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

42 is played pretty much like spades, just need to be able to count multiples of five....drinking during the game is an absolute requirement....
Chomper
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: anal-est Reply with quote

Read through your posts, mostly I can honestly say I've never been there. You have to understand that all guys are not like yourself going into it, so your not disappointed when you get to talking with the same guys about "next year". That being said, there is one guy who will never see the seat of my boat again. His family and mine had a lot in common and enjoyed each others company, so we decided to get out of town for the 4th of July weekend. I knew his kids would enjoy getting towed behind the boat on tubes, and the oldest enjoyed fishing. As the weekend approached he decided to take it apon himself to invite 2 other couples and their families along. I'm sure the lure was being able to get out in a boat and fish and tube all weekend. Well, the assumption was correct. The other families wanted their kids towed all over the lake, wanted them to go fishing during the evening, there wasn't room for my kids when all the adults loaded up. When I went to buy gas and oil, they all walked off! This weekend brings me to my biggest two pet peaves, people who won't even offer to help out with boat gas, and guys who always seem to dis on their wives when they have had a bit too much to drink, even if she is sitting in the chair next to him.
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gas, either in the car or the boat or both seems to be a reoccuring theme. I too, have had this problem with guys trips, and reverted to ff's method about everyone kicking in $50 bucks to start with, in front of eveyone so everyone knows upfront what is expected/ then we have another pot for groceries. That helps greatly.

Like Chomper though, I have been stuck holding many empty gas cans after families leave after spending the weekend. To fish and ski for two days during the weekend, with kids, my boat will go through two tanks, or 50 gallons, easily. Marine gas at the resort, is at least $4 or $5 a gallon, Optimax must have premium. That is about $225 JUST for gas. I have had rocket scientists, palm me a $20 dollar bill just as they are loading everyone into their cars, like he just did me a great big favor!!! It all comes down to consideration. Some have it, others don't have a clue and care only about keeping money in their pockets.

My venting is free by the way,

Col Ron
vitt
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene – My buddy Joe and I will take on you and a partner in Spades over lunch.

Our group loves to play cards –Euchre (play the most), Poker, Spades, Hearts. We love to compete. We divide up into teams for the week and play golf, darts, pool, horseshoes and cards (anything else we can find). You receive points for each victory. Fishing is worth the most points of course. The team with the most points takes home the money (not much, we just throw in a 5) and gets bragging rights.

I have to say I go up with a great group of guys. We are good friends and have had the same group for 17 years. We have never had an “outsider” join us. I tried to remember when I got mad at someone and I can’t remember one time. The only time I get worked up on vacation is when the Minnesotans start telling Iowa jokes. We share our duties and pool our money for bait, gas and food.
Gowdy 1
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one last pet peave. Smelly food.

Yesterday we went over to the Curry Castle to eat lunch. Upon entering I thought I had stepped into an outhouse in Death Valley, in August. I will tell you, the smell can burn the hair out of your nose. At the present time, I do not have one hair in either nostril.

When King Curry came over to ask us if we needed anything, I asked him if he could open a window. He asked why, and I offered that it is difficult to eat while holding one's breath! He didn't understand.

When I got back to the office, I the women in the group told me to not talk to them. They told me I had "fart breath". Cigar breath is ok, but not "fart breath".

That's my pet peave of the day.

Gowdy Cool
BlueDuck
Angler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texan, in an earlier post you told me Gowdy was deserving of everything he gets on this board.

After his last post I will never doubt your word again. Evil or Very Mad

"Gowdy, you are 100% certified full of poop".....

Texan

Texan, You were so right I'm sure.
BlueDuck
Angler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BD,

Gowdy is pretty dang good at catching fish, it was he who got me "hooked" on coming up there in the first place...

Texan[/quote]

I'll bet its a dang good thing for him that he is a good fisherman.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: