Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
new fishing update and question from cat eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cat eyes
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: new fishing update and question from cat eyes Reply with quote

I was up again for a couple of days sun.and mon. we caught 18 walleyes 6 crappies and 2 pike.went out of agassiz It is hard to believe it is gone but he is still open you just have to leave your money in the car by his sign Very Happy .the question i have is after I get on the lake isn't it open to fish anywhere on the non tribal side?And if so why do some access owners think they own the lake?lets just say if 1 access owner was having problems with his bridge wouldn't you think you could just drive over to the other bridge and cross but apparently NOT because they have nothing better to do than sit next to it and gaurd it that is a very POOR way to run your buissness if you ask me.What do you all think? Question
Helmetguy16
Spinner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

Cat eyes- That sounds like a very poor move to pull by anyone on any lake. Nobody owns a lake, especially a lake of larger size such as Red or Mille Lacs. People should pay their access fee at whichever resort they choose and fish anywhere they wish to on the lake. Resort owners, I would think, should have more important things to worry about than who is crossing a bridge. We are all out there to have fun and catch some fish. It's people who act like this that make it less fun for everyone else. Good luck out there everyone!!
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think were opening a can of worms?It has been shown that you can blow through anyones road and go where ever you want. You pay the access to cross there land once on the lake it is free to travel where ever you wish?
cat eyes
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you cookie but apparently Buddy does not think that way. Rolling Eyes It is a very strange way to run a business if you ask me he once stoped me and told me I owed him 8 dollars because i drove across his road that is just idiotic thinking.I seen you out there this weekend cookie I was the 1 behind you mon. night coming off the lake at 6 pm did you catch any we caught 6 crappies and 18 eyes and 2 pike. Very Happy
JTucker
Spinner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive always understood that nobody owns the water so if they put there bridge out anyone can cross it. Thatd be like staking out a fishing hole and not letting anyone else fish in it.
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do not want to get into this. My focus needs to be on my custormers and custormer service" giving them a chance to catch fish, making sure they are safe and ok" .Jeff was able to put a road into good fishing and thats where I'm fishing.On a side note they do make one heck of a road and I know Buddy takes alot of pride in that,just like I take pride in caring for my custormers
Stewietime
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with "cookie". You pay the access fee to do what? ... just what it says, "access the lake" once on the lake you are free do do what you wish.
Big Z
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far out are the roads right now (from the east). Coming up with four to six guys and I would like to get out there a ways. Man it looks like it will be a cold one but I cannot turn down the full moon.
Traper
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Z,
i believe it's 8 miles now..

but be prepared it's going to get darn cold this weekend..
Big Z
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Yup just calculated the wind chill for the low on Sat. -48 WOW.
Hansonator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was up Sat-Mon. I'm all about supporting the local economy, so I paid my $8 and went out of Hillmans. I could have easily driven out for free at Agassiz, but chose not to. Hillmans has a nice road and a good bridge, too. Having said that, it was a real pain in the butt to be stopped and be hastled everytime we crossed the bridge, even though we had a pass. The Westwind bridge was being moved on Mon morning. For those who were coming off the lake at that time, did everyone expect for them to just sit on the lake for over an hour and wait instead of trying to leave through another spot? I think the bottom line is just common sense....pay your $, support the local economy, respect the local resort owners, and then they will have more trust in the fishing community and won't have to feel like they need to sit out by the bridge hastling everyone. Fishing was good with a nice mix of crappie and walleye, a zillion perch (annoying), and a couple of nice gators. Fished about 7mi out of Hillmens where the road turns back toward the north shore. I'll be back in late Feb or early Mar.
Helmetguy16
Spinner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Free at Agassiz???? Reply with quote

Quote:
I could have easily driven out for free at Agassiz, but chose not to
Question Question . Last time I checked, and that was this past Saturday, Agassiz still charges an access fee. Unfortunately, there are people taking advantage of his misfortune and not paying. I personally think that its extremely rude to even mention that you "could have" gone out of Agassiz for free. I don't know of any access to Red Lake that is free, but I could be wrong.
ozzie
Spinner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I went out of Hillmans this past weekend and I never got checked but I had paid my $8......If they stop you just recite the law to them and tell them if they do not move you will contact the local co or sheriff...now after you cross the bridge they won't let you cross their land which is legal so you would legaly have to go back to the access you paid for!!!
slabby
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think Hillmans has been around long enough and is well enough established they wouldn't need to police their bridge.
They already have probably 60% of the vehicles accessing on the the lake by town Question
Can't imagine this will help business Question
Wonder if the CO has to pay to use the bridge if they come on a different access?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: