Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
How protected are the crappies?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shaky legs 2
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished reading my Minnesota Outdoors Weekly from two weeks. I don't remember the date but the lake profiled on the back is Cedar Lake near Annandale. Paul Dietrich the DNR regional supervisor headquartered in Montrose has this to say about the test netting on the lake. I am paraphrasing but you can read the article for his exact words: He said that test netting showed that the number of walleyes per lift dropped in half from the last time the lake was netted. During that time the Northern population has shown tremendous growth. He blamed the drop in walleye numbers in part to this upsurge in Northern numbers. Metro area lakes (including Cedar) have little or no natural walleye reproduction. The lakes get stocked with fry or fingerlings depending what seems to do best in a given body of water. Muskies might not be the same as Northern but they are closely related and I have to agree with Mr. Dietrich as he knows more than I do about the topic. Big lakes with natural reproduction and more acres are not affected as much as smaller lakes with little or no natural reproduction. Anytime you introduce something to upset the balance of the lake - something suffers and something takes it's place. Look what happened to Leech when the Cormmorant population started eating the small walleyes and what happened to the Crappie population in URL when walleye numbers declined. Introducing a species such as muskies into a lake that has never had them before affects the natural balance. While it may be good for some that like to fish for muskies it hurts others who target walleyes, crappies and other species. If you want to be informed, read the report on Cedar Lake and Paul Dietrich's comments - don't accept what I have written here.
Big Z
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Metro area lakes (including Cedar) have little or no natural walleye reproduction."

Does that mean that the walleyes realy shouldn't be in the lake? or does that mean that with the stocking the northerns were provided with more forage. Sounds like the DNR needs to add more forage to the lake alond with the walleye stocking.
Jim Davidson
Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Sorry Reply with quote

Sorry, I did not mean to ruffle any feathers here. And the point is clear that Red and large lakes can handle the introduction of another species, just too many smaller lakes with them stocked that I have noticed the changes over the years. By the way, I'm a fairly good fisherman, so don't go there!
Jim Davidson
Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: A thought Reply with quote

I was wondering if they were thinking that the introduction into some of the smaller lakes would help the size of the panfish? If it was, it seems to have had the opposite affect.
wallygator
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i heard they were going to introduce salmon and tuna into red will this help the fishery ??????
JTucker
Spinner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote] Posted:
i heard they were going to introduce salmon and tuna into red will this help the fishery ??????
Whered you hear that?
One more comment on the muskies. if the muskies never eat the walleyes in bigger lakes then how come there are so many stories of them grabbing walleyes that people are reeling in?
Jim Davidson
Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: enough said! Reply with quote

I believe we have reached the end of this thread and it is now going to the silly side. I will not return to this thread. That may make some happy, but I really do not care. Bye!
Steel Horse
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Cookie, don't know if you remember me but I was up last year with some friends and we played a little hockey on your fine lake. How are things going up there? Is the bite on yet or should we wait a little yet before coming up? Sorry to hear about Mr. Scott and his shoulder...hope things go well for him. Please let me know what's shakin we like to make another trip your way sometime yet this winter.

Steel Horse
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steal horse the walleye fishing has been excellance with a few crappies coming are way.If you want a weekend it might be in your best interest to give us a call soon?
Steel Horse
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would mid week work even if it was just a night or maybe two? Keep me posted.... my daughter really wants to come up this time and give it a try. Understand the houses are out there a ways this year....

Do you remember us....the foolish midnight hockey games?
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea I remember you guys well. You stayed in florida. My age is catching up with me though as I'am having a tough time with names this year?Midweek would work?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: