Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Eating Walleye on ice?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruger1
Spinner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Eating Walleye on ice? Reply with quote

Question.

Say, I get up there friday night. Catch my 2 fish. Fillet and eat them. Now as of 12:01 Saturday, that is a new day. But I still have carcasses on the ice for the CO to inspect if they come by Friday. If I catch my 2 for Saturday, Fillet and eat them. Then in theory I have 4 carcasses on the ice. Do I have to drive back to shore each night after I've eaten my fish and dispose of the carcasses?

Anyone??

Sunday shouldn't matter, I'm bringing those fish home.
Scott
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, that's a great hypothetical!

I highly doubt any Game Warden is going to give you a tough time with what you've described.

Consider, also, the possibility that the garbage hadn't been emptied for a week or so...and there is a dozen or more carcasses in the garbage? Are you to held responsible for those also?

I honestly cannot remember ever reading a story about how a DNR official ticketed someone for what was a VERY shaky case and the "guilty" contested it all the way through the law system.

I believe that DNR officials are granted an enormous amount of latitude in enforcing the law and have enough experience to know what IS a flagrant violation and what is not even close to being one.

My thoughts on this:

Follow the law and don't worry about it. (Which includes not leaving those carcasses on the ice...which is not legal as far as I can remember). Maybe someone else can chime in whether or not this is addressed in the regulations?
wallygator
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the law says you cannot fillet any fish on the ice on a slot protected lake i believe !!
Pray for the fish
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have walleye carcasses for the CO to inspect, you will then have a ticket to inspect, and that is not something you want I expect. You cannot clean a walleye on red lake waters, only on shore. And then only 2 per day, with a possession limit also only 2.
Jim Davidson
Angler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: That sounds right Reply with quote

That sounds right, and I believe it's any fish cannot be cleaned out on a lake, which means if I plan on frying up some fish during my picnic on the ice I will have to go ashore and clean them and come back out to cook them, with enough people to be legal in limits each way. I think I will review this with the DNR web page and be sure whether or not I have to do that.
LABS4ME
Spinner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: cleaning fish Reply with quote

You can fillet and eat crappies and perch in your fish house on Red. These fish have no protective slot. You still need to follow the daily and possession limits.

You cannot fillet or eat walleye or northerns on Red or any other lake with a protected slot. You legally cannot clean them on shore and bring them back to your fish house to cook either. It is illegal to possess any fillets of fish with a protected slot on any lake that has a slot limit, let alone Red. Measuring carcassess is not the same as measuring a fish in the whole either... your measurments can be skewed. There will be many tickets written for this violation this winter.

One way a lot of guys have been enjoying their walleyes is to have Westwinds cook them for you. For a small fee they will pan fry 2 fillets and serve them with salad and roll. No clean-up and a tasty meal.

Good Luck!

Ken
Chomper
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: walleye Reply with quote

Labs is right, it is illegal to possess walley fillets while on the water/ ice in this situation. I know this will probably be enforced strictly, so don't even smell like a walleye.
Scott
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense to me!

I've never ice fished in MN (except for crappies) so the issue never came up before for me.

Thanks for setting me straight (yeah...even I learn something now and then)!
rlgilby

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that you can't eat walleye on a lake if there is a slot limit from a number of people. I am having a hard time finding that language in the fishing regulations. Would someone be able to show me where it is printed? We have shore lunch on Rainy Lake allthe time in the summer and it also has a slot limit, so I am wondering if we are wrongin doing that as well.
slabby
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check pages 10-11 under possessing fish in the Regs. That should clear it up somewhat. You were fine with the shore lunch deal-
Also, statewide regs state only 1 walleye over 20" and 1 northern over 30" so I'd say on ANY lake in Minn.has a protected slot and you could not clean and eat those fish on the lake?
Jim Davidson
Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: I guess we will not have fish! Reply with quote

I'm guessing we should not have fish on the menu in case we accidentally get into a problem. That's what I will do anyway...bring a couple fish in for West Wind, have them fillet and cook them up for me for one supper anyway.
Thanks for all the info everyone.
Chomper
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: regulations Reply with quote

Jim, your little get together sounds alot like ours, I always get a bunch of compliments when I do a brat lunch on the ice. First you have to brown a few packs of brats on the grill the night before or a few days in advance.a store in ziplocks, slice an onion or two and add a few red chili flakes to taste and add to ziplock. When you are on the ice, get a pot out, pour in a couple of beers add brat/onions and heat on camp stove, simmer for 15 - 20 minutes, or till onions are soft, serve on bun with the rest of the fixin's. If It is sunny, put you sacks of buns on the dash of your truck to warm up a bit. Nothing better, well easier that is. I feed 12 - 14 guys.
Hawghunter
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chomper, that sounds great. Am getting hungry just reading your post. Razz
ruger1
Spinner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the MN Regs.

While on or fishing waters with size restrictions, all fish for which the size restriction applies must have their heads, tails, fins, and skin intact and be measurable except when a watercraft is docked or moored to shore and the person is preparing the fish for that nights/days meal.

Apparently you can shorelunch fish all you like. I don't any reason why I cannot drive to shore. Clean my fish. Dispose of them in the trash. Go back to my fishhouse and eat my fish. I'll have the resort owner vouch for me if there is an issue.

I can't believe a CO would bust my hump for that.
ruger1
Spinner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookie, what is your take on all this??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: