Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Still very quiet up here?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Still very quiet up here? Reply with quote

Well theres a lot of speculation as why it is so quiet up here? Is it the gas prices? Is it only being able to keep two fish? Is it the stories of the dnr?The good fishing on milacs? The walleye fishing has been pretty good of late and the pike fishing also picked up with reports of fish over 40 inches be caught? We do have a few fishermen coming up mid august so will see how they do.The greek may come up this weekend but with deer hunting a month away he's starting to gear up for that?We might get out fishing but time will tell.
So whats the scoop out there is it the gas prices ?2 fish limit?
Harry
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookie, I just had some friends fish up there last week. They did very well with the walleyes. It was their first time up there and they want to go back up there again!! We haven't been going up there to our property because of the deer flies etc. The price of gas has definitely made us stop coming up there as much as we would like to. Its not only the price of gas thats going up fast, its most everything, insurance, repairs, food, etc. At the same time our wages haven't increased, I think my take home pay is about the same as it was 5-6 years ago. Many people just pull out their credit card to pay for things (its easy credit today), but we pay cash and if we don't have the cash we just stay home. Thats our situation and I think alot of other people are in the same situation.
MALLARDMAN
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookie,

I have many friends that live in my area and many of them that head to Red to fish. They have all said that the gas prices are to high for them to justify a trip that far north.

Most have been hitting Mille Lacs since the bite has been good and its only 1.5 hrs from the metro.

I can't wait for ice fishing on Red again. If these gas prices don't relax some my usual 6-7 weekends per winter will be cut to 1-2. It will cost a small fortune to drag my house up there at these prices. I'm already looking at options closer to home....

It sucks to see the impact high fuel costs if having on all my hobbies... Sad
Big Z
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gas Prices
Gas Prices and My new baby daughter have caused a slow in my fishing. Last year 25-30times on open water including a trip to your spot cookie for camping. By the way that 17" Crappie looks good on the wall, my wife keeps getting bigger fish. This year I have only been out six times. Kids will do that to you maybe next year when she's not so young then I can duck tape a snoopy pole to her hands J/K.
Chomper
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Red Lake Reply with quote

Gas! we are now at $2.88 here, Sioux City IA,had a friend from St. Cloud say he saw some at $3.17. We had been taking a fall trip to Winni/Red Lake then a winter trip. We have cut out the fall trip and moving the winter trip to Mille Lacs because of gas prices. All of our wives pay us back by taking a "girls only" trip with roughly the same budget as we spend fishing, well if we spend that much more to do our fishing trips, then they get to spend more, see where thisnis going? My wallet didn't feel too good after last year.
ruger1
Spinner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookie,

I live a lot closer than these other guys. I'm only 1.5 hrs away. My friends and I talked it over and the cost of gas vs the 2 fish limit has been keeping us away. I've been averaging $100/weekend just fishing locally. I don't want to think about driving up to Red.

I'll be up there almost every weekend this winter. Once I can leave my house up there and take the car up every weekend, that should make the trip more managable.
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response guys. The gas prices seems to be putting a hit on most people.As Harry stated everything else goes up also.Agassiz has his open house this weekend for people to look at what he is auctioning off on the 25th. It sounds like he has thrown in the towel and is ready to try a different venture. I on the other hand a'm here for the long haul.I guess conserving gas will be a priority this winter.
Chomper
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: cookie Reply with quote

cookie, I know our crew had always visited URL in the winter and we had always tried to fit it in around opener for some crappie fishin' We stopped coming up at opener because Mile Lacs has been so good to us, we stopped our ice fishing excursion to URL because we found a small honey hole with crappies just as big, and some nice eyes and perch to boot. I'd say this is the first year we won't even consider URL b/c of the gas prices, so for us the 2 fish limit isn't the issue. But, I would have a hard time justifying such a trip just to keep two walleye. The perch seem to be making a come back, so this will help.I have a local group of guys who want to make it up there this year, so we will see.
ozzie
Spinner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I started coming to Red was the crappies...last year I came up fewer times than years past but still made it 4-5 times......this year i am sure i will make at least one trip but the rest of my buddies are talking of other places to try such as devils lake or good ol mille lacs....I think the next big explosion of fisherman on red will be in the next few years when the jumbo perch might explode or when they open up the limits on the walleye to more than 2..........hate to say it cause it is a great place to go but hard to convince and justify the $ for 2 fish per person...even though it isn't all about the take but the crappies are what we want to catch and without them there are just to many other lakes right now that are producing walleye and you can keep more and they are alot shorter trips!!!!
Harry
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookie
When is the open house for the lodge that is for sale? Is it all day saturday or is there special hours? Wife and I might come up to look, then stop at our land to see if its still there, might even stop in to see you. Maybe you should buy it!!!!
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Harry I beleave the open house is between 5 and 630.I'm sure the price is out of my budget though?
shaky legs 2
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookie,

I think all of the above reasons mentioned are reasons for people not coming up to Red plus two others: The hot weather and the meat fishermen who have dropped out of sight when the crappie bite tailed off. I started noticing this a couple of years ago when the crappie limit went from 15 to 10 and the bite was still going pretty good up on Red. I don't like to have a freezer full of fish as I like them better fresh. I do like to have a backup meal in the freezer in case we get company as they enjoy eating fish but to stockpile them makes no sense. I would have to say that gas prices and the two-fish limit are probably the biggest reasons. I have curtailed my fishing (not for those reasons) due mainly to the hot weather.
Harry
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookie
Thats too late in the day for us because we have to back to Park Rapids by 4:00pm. Oh well its out of my price range also, it probably won't sell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: