Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
New to Cass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcufish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: New to Cass Reply with quote

Hello People of Cass!
My buddy and I are going to be staying at Break on the Lake on Cass Lake next week. We are there to catch, photograph, and realease as many muskie as we can, and to simply enjoy being away. Any suggestions, baits or otherwise, to help our cause would be most appreciated. Thank you. Tom
muskiyfins
Spinner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

Read my post here regarding fishing at Cass a couple of weeks ago. With few exeptions, I fish exclusively for Muskies. While I am a Cass beginner, the pike were certainly interested in bucktails, (we had the best luck with bright colors) although I suspect that to start to change about now to big plugs. Also, the biggest fish we raised all week was on a chartruese bulldawg.

Good Luck.
The Texan
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

Welcome to the board and good luck on your trip....You a Texan??? The TCU has me thinkin' Cool

Texan
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey tcu, welcome to our site. Pay close attention, there is a ton of good info here. Although I have fished Cass for 30 years, I personnaly have never targeted muskys. So, I cannot be of any help to you. BUT, there are a lot of guys here that do musky fish, and I am sure they will be only to glad to help you. Let me give you on piece of advice. If this is your first trip to Cass, get a guide the first day. He will show you the hot baits, and hot spots to try, money well spent. If you need one, contact our moderator, Col Ron, he guides on Cass and is one of the best. Good luck on your trip, and let us know how you made out.
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCU:
I have been very busy, sorry I didn't see this sooner. Everyone has their favorite Muskie baits. It really changes from week to week. That is why I keep ordering different stuff, and trying new things. Obviously, the big three are a must///bucktails, gliders and crankbaits. The colors change also. Black and whites, and perch are very popular here. I will not recommend one lurer over another. Whatever you are comfortable throwing, and have the most success, just keep trying it, you should have success.

I will also highly recommend changing the hooks on most lurers. Put on super sharp trebles to take advantage of every strike you get. I don't know where you fish, but up here you want to have an 80 pound test on your Muskie reels. I now use Power pro.

Nice to see you join the INVO Team, good luck and have a safe trip,

Col Ron
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCU,

Ffishman's advice to hire a guide is good advice - worth more than you paid for it!

I'm no Musky guy, but after 30 yrs fishing Cass, I finally went out with 2 teenagers one morning this past June to give it the ol' college try - and we raised TWO. For us, it was extremely exciting and we will for sure try again next year.

Over the years I have heard of certain spots to target, so I can suggest three for you to try: around Stony Point, around the Potato Islands, and in the Kettle.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Gene
tcufish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Thank You Reply with quote

My fishing buddy I am going to Cass with fished there last year with much success. It will be my first time on Cass. We are loaded up with baits. Thank you all for the tips and the welcome. We are coming from Des Plaines, IL. It sounds like we have what you have recommended. One last question, do you all troll at all with any success? If so would trolling this time of year be a good idea and in what depths have you had success. Again, thank you for your renowned welcome and all of the advice and tips are much appreciated.
See you on the water!
Good fishing, Tom
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't troll at all. I have seen people do it with success. Throwing in, at, on the edge of weeds, is important. Doing the same thing trolling is very difficult. Not a bad idea, if you are just dog tired of throwing.

Col Ron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: