Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Northern!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Northern!!!! Reply with quote

I wish I could say this happened in my boat, this is a real picture, Col Ron

http://www.sflistteamhouse.com/Misc/+northern
carpy52
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: yecks. Reply with quote

Shocked dang Jaws wasn't much smaller. From the look on he's face must of took a while. Next question was this caught on Cass and if so I ain't going swimming in there no more.
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of talk about this fish on the "other" Minnesota web site on the pike-muskie section and most posters seem to agree that it is probably a European caught fish where evidently there are waters more condusive to extra large Northern Pike. But, there just might be something like that lurking in the depths of Cass lake. I'll bet there's a Muskie near that size in the depths somewhere. Thanks Col Ron for the excitement pump. I know your doing your job finding them. Four weeks to go and holding impatiently. Think sun-up and moon down; Col, you know. Bob
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it from a Vietnam war group. One of them supposedly caught it in Rainy Lake.

Bob, by the time you get here the muskies should be in full swing.

Col Ron
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one FAT northern. AT Tom's, he used to have old photo albums laying around. Although there were never pics of northerns THAT fat, there were tons of pics of STRINGERS of northerns, that was before catch and release. That fish would certainly put a strain on my 10 lb line.
MilitiaMan
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got that photo from three different people, with three different captions, from three different lakes. The most reliable source said that it did indeed come from over in Europe somewhere. FYI-I did some checking after receiving that picture and the NP record is the oldest in the state, standing at 45+ lbs. since 1929. I gotta believe that it will hold its place for a long time to come. You just don't see fish like that anymore. Although if it does get broken, I'd lay even money it comes out of Basswood again.
Big Z
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentle man at my work was given this picture from his friend who works with the guy that caught the fish. They were on rainy lake and it was 1lb 12oz less then the state record.
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Z:

It certainly is getting around the entire country. Amazing fish.

Col Ron
Big Z
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing to think that fish as big as that are in these waters.
LABS4ME
Spinner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can almost guarantee you this fish WAS NOT caught in Minnesota. This photo has been going around the internet for weeks and it hasn't made one news outlet other than the internet. C'mon potentially the biggest (second biggest if you believe the size of the current record) and not one news station, not one news paper, not one outdoor rag is going to pick up the story in a months time and report on it? I've gotten it at least 6 times over the last 3-4 weeks. It's the same old story, it's from the internet so it's gotta be true... remember the 25 lb. walleye caught on Lake of the Woods? 1 month later we all found out it was caught somewhere in Northern Canada by a Priest, or the 9' sturgeon being held be 5 guys that was caught in the Rainey River?, but turned out to be caught in British Columbia. Funny thing BigZ the guy I originally got the photo from also said he recieved it from a friend who works with the guy who's friends with the guy who caught it. After I called B.S. he called his friend and the friend who said it was caught by his friend ammended his story to... it said it was another friend of a friend... Also That is not the proper shoreline composition for Rainy Lake...

There are many in the DNR who also doubt the validity of the current Minnesota record as it was set before the scrutiny they are subjected to now. I'd venture to bet the northern record for Minnesota will never be broke as the state does not hold a 45+ pound northern in it's waters. I've fished up in the arctic twice and we pushed the 30lb (48-49") envelope a couple times and the biggest anyone up there remembers is a couple in the low to mid-40 pounds. I just got back from Northern Saskatchewan and they get 1 fish a year legitimatley over 50". These are big virtually unttapped pike waters... not Rainey Lake, and they are most likely not producing fish of that caliber...

I'm hoping for the "real" story to come out...

Good Luck!

Ken
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta agree, there are probably no northerns that big in any Mn waters, but at least we can dream
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: