Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
47.5 x 20.75 inch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian Jones
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: 47.5 x 20.75 inch Reply with quote

Here is one of three for the week. The others were a 44.25 and a sub we didn't measure.
Traper
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm nice little fish .. gulp glad i'm not in the same waters as that fish is..
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, on the other hand, wish fervently that I was on the water above that fish... or one of similar dimensions. Nice fish Brian.

Casting or Trolling? Looks like late evening/night for sure. Sounds like the big girls are starting to eat now. Smile

Mark
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I've never had the pleasure, fill me in would you?

Is this musky stuff kinda like those Shark Hunter shows where you fight the fish for 30-60 mins? or do they just kind of give up real fast and give you that "ok, c'mon and reel me in already" look?

And please beguile me with some of your favorite musky stories - like the one that towed the boat around or the one that came up and ate the 3lb walleye you were reeling in or the one that was so big it didn't fit in the net or......
I'm listening!!!!!!
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to cook one up for you tomorrow morning geno. Got a couple in the memory banks that still get my blood pumping! Shocked

Mark
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really great stories Gene but I have seen several times Muskies breaching like whales do kind of rolling over above water where you could see their whole length and girth and then gone like Moby Dick. And just last year my wife who now casts and trolls with Abu reels hooked into a nice 48 inch plus fish here in Utah using a heavy duty Zebco with 25 lb. mono. It was a stalemate as she couldn't reel it in from about 40 yards out as the drag wouldn't hold so I would reach out to her first line guide and pull in line while she reeled. After about 10 minutes we got the fish boatside and got a real good look at its size. It would have been a family record. She could hold it while I got the cradle. I gently lowered the cradle into the water as she led him into it. When he was half way in he spooked from it and with one gigantic upheaval over backwards he threw the spinnerbait and was gone. We were heartsick for a short time but the whole experience was marvelous. Its so addictive. Sometimes we just cruise the shoreline at the right times and see them like submarines also just crusing. Even seeing their size like that is a thrill. Catch the bug. Your up Mark. Bob Very Happy
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good story Bob. Kind of reminds me of the time I was in Tenn on a reservoir and was cruising around looking for that ideal fishing spot when all of a sudden as the Sun shine brightly on the shore we were passing, I could see 5 big Gar - musta been a school of 'em. Man were they long fish. Not quite as nice as seeing musky and not nearly as good as hooking into a big fish like your wife did though. Tell her I said my mantra is I don't mind losing one if I get to see it, it's those that break off before I get to see them that get me upset.

Keep 'em coming guys....I'm still listening.
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. Here's a sort of funny one.

Several years ago. Middle of the day. Casting on a dropoff from 20 feet of water. Lot's of cabbage/pond weed on the break. Trying to use a deep-diving bagleys Bomber without pulling in a salad. Halfway into the retrieve, I really dug into some weeds. So now I'm reeling this HUGE mess of weeds up to the surface. I'm about ready to pull the salad ball out of the water, when I noticed a low/mid 40's muskie really coming up fast behind it! So now, I'm feeling really silly trying to figure 8 a huge ball of weeds next to the boat. Looked like I was swishing a mop around in the water. But this fish is still interested! Suddenly, he just turns and zooms off. I figured it finally saw me standing there laughing down in the water. But that's when a MUCH larger fish slides into view from under the boat. I hate estimating size while they're in the water... but I'd be safe to say 49/50 inches. So now I'm still figure 8'ing the weeds, I mean lure. And this fish just keeps swimming next to it with his eye right next to it. Not facing it head on or following with his nose...just swimming with the mess next to his head. Did that for about 3 turns of the 8, then just faded off. I'm still looking to buy a lure that closely immitates a massive clump of weeds. Rolling Eyes
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say he was interested....interested in you falling into the water so he could have a little meat with his salad.

The vision of you "swishing" a gob'o'weeds has got me thinking how "fanatical" musky guys really are. After that story, if you aren't carrying a "swish" pole in the boat with you at all times, I just don't think much of you as a muskyhunter no matter what kind of extreme weather you'll go after them in.

Good story, can't wait for the next one.
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one Mark, I've got one that should bring a smile to your cheeks. Many years ago, I was on Pike, with the wife. We were jig fishing ( what else). I was sitting in the front of the boat,she in the rear. When all of a sudden I hear a scream. I turn around just in time to see my wife yanking her jig and minnow out of the water, (almost hit me). At the same time, I spot a huge musky swimming by the boat. The wife says, and here comes the smile part, "that big fish almost ate my minnow"!!!!!! DUH! Y0u can guess what I said then. Other than, that's why we fish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: